Monday, October 1, 2007

The "I" and the "I"

It appears that subjectivity is the relationsihp people have between the consciousness of the exterioir versus the unconsciousness of the interior. By consciousness, it is referred to in the readings as history, society, and cultures affect on human nature. By unconsciousness, we recognize that once we become social beings, we go into the dream state in search of what we have lost in order to attempr to get back to the unconscious state as a reality to the exterior world. In the contemporary work of Michael Foucalt, he attempts to determine the causes of subjectivity within social and historical discouse in order to try to understand the way humans are subjected in the exterior world.

Freud analyzes a child's game from the transition from passivity of the mother's leaving to the activity of the game of throwing his toys out of sight. As a result, Freud's observations bring to light the appearance and disappearance of the mother to be correspondingly the pleasure of the child's activity manifested unconsciously into conscious pleasure...I think:)?? Lacans of the "Mirror State" to show us the I of the imago and the I of the inner arena. Fanon informs us of the conflicts of try to live as a man among men in constant battle with being subjected to the Other, as well as Object, as a black man. Michael Foucalt makes us aware of how the system of surveillance segments societies into subjective categories based on the ruling classes decision on binary division and branding. Because of this subjective categorization, recognition and characterization is branded upon the I of an individual's conscious outward reality.

I was most interested in Roland Barthes The Pleasure of Text excerpt because of the way he subjects reading a book to take on a variety of meanings dependent upon how the subject reads a text; by reads I mean the selection of text and gap of text to bring out the subjective interpretation of text. By thinking about how each subject finds pleasurable subjection of a text, he poses the Nietzschean question: "What is it for me?" The way one reads a text is the way one reads a painting, sculpture, photograph, installation, film, etc. We take pieces to give a conscious subjective representation of what the art means to us.

Looking forward to class tomorrow.

No comments: