Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Class and theory

How does theory and art history work with one another? Yes, I understand that there is theory in everything we do. However, I have come to the point where it is blurring the line a little. After many of these reading I sometimes wonder what does this have to do with art? I understand the methodologies and there relationship with art history.

After reading this last article I began to understand how and why we have the methodology of class and representation in art history. I also understood the meaning be hind class and art and social class and theory. I thought that it was interesting that people would link the two and make a huge debate about this subject matter. One question that I have is how and why we use this and also why don’t we use this more. I find when looking at art history texts that social relations and art history go hand in hand. I agree with Jenny that TJ Clark now make sense with his article that we read.

The article that we read this week talks about the social class and different types of social class that could get along or they don’t. When I began to read this article I was totally confused by the title and again what did it have to do with art history. It was not until that I read it for the seconded time that I got it and it made complete since. It was like a light bulb went off and I got it. I love the art that goes with the text and it make complete understanding of how and why we need social class structure and what it does with art.

I look forward to talking with you all about this topic.

No comments: