Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Modern Art

When did modern art begin? And who in fact started the movement? Many people think that it began in the late during the late nineteenth century when Napoleon the third held the Salon de Refuses. This was also the time when Edouard Manet showed Dejeuner sur Lherbe. However I think it is when Courbet showed The Studio of the Painter. However, different people have different ideas about when modern art or modernism actually began. The scholar Elkins believes that it began with Italian Renaissance. I do think that it is interesting that he picked this time period and thinks that modern art started here. True, Italian Renaissance was a breath of fresh air after dark ages of Gothic art. Elkins actually make a good argument that modern art could have never began with out the Renaissance. However, like many other scholars I do believe that modern art in the late eighteenth century. I do not think that is the case. Even though most art history classes start with late eighteenth century art.
On the other hand T.J. Clark thinks that abstract expression is dead. I have to agree with him. It was a movement that is no longer be done. I do think that he makes a good argument even thought his article was a little difficult to read.
I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about modern art and how it has affected our culture now.

No comments: